Along with basketball coach, assistant basketball coach plays a crucial role in coaching and communicating with players regularly. In some situations, assistant basketball coaches interact with the team more than the head coaches, despite of their lower income.
Assistant basketball coach’s works
Recruiting is one of the most important responsibilities of any basketball assistant and coach. While the head coach is in charge of training and teaching players to improve their performance and make them better, searching for good players to take part in the team is key to constant success for any team, from high school to professional ones. Assistant coaches help to create and develop the essential relationships to bring out the best basketball players and usually spend more time maintaining those relationships than head coaches.
Assistant coaches also help the coach prepare for games and enhance a forte, like player analysis, attack or defense.
Constantly present with the team
An assistant coach of a team always reminds to the players of their mission and what they have to do. Assistant coaches always show up at team events and even practices, so they must have the right behaviors. They can even use many ways to contact with players, such as social media, phones, mails, etc, when they are not with the team.
Reviewing games and moves
Assistant coach usually watches or re-watches old video clips of games to find out the mistakes and ways to improve the team in the future. In addition, during the practices, the assistant may outline a lot of things, such as what worked out, what did not, who needs to be improved, etc. All the information is very useful for the coaches to discuss and improve the players.
Tips to be a good assistant basketball coach
- Always support the coach and the philosophy of the program.
- Be very open-minded and always ready to learn everything. It means that you should always be willing to listen, think outside the box and take note whenever you can.
- Be devoted to the coach, the students and the school.
- Don’t be so reluctant to do the “dirty” work for the head coach. You are the assistant, not the coach. He/she has many other important things to do.
- If you disagree with the coach, you should tell him/her privately. Criticize him/her in front of the team is not very appropriate.
- Be optimistic, upbeat and enthusiastic whenever you can. You should be the one who creates energy and cheers up people!
- Constantly update for the head coach about the players. It also means that you should get along with the players and be a good communicator.
Finally, when you are an assistant basketball coach, you may desire to be a coach in the future. It is a good sign! It means that you are very passionate about doing the job and willing to go further in your career!